Last Updated on
Alcohol is the most widely consumed psychoactive substance in the world. For many people, alcohol provides a great relief from the stresses of daily life and is very commonly used within a recreational and social context.
However, as enjoyable as alcohol can be, the downsides often outweigh the costs. Alcohol is a complex drug that interacts with multiple systems and regions of the brain, leading to numerous side effects.
Some people may swear by their special remedy for curing hangovers, these are limited to mostly masking the symptoms, not actually curing you. The truth of the matter is that alcohol is highly neurotoxic and will cause all sorts of problems to brain and organ health, whether you notice right away it or not.
Fortunately for us, Nootropics Depot has developed a product called Alcohol Defense: a pharmacologically active, scientifically-researched hangover cure that actually works.
How Alcohol Defense Works
Alcohol Defense is designed to be taken after drinking, in fact if its taken before drinking you may not even feel the effects of alcohol at all. It’s primary purpose is to promote healthy alcohol metabolization, by increasing the speed of alcohol elimination and its damaging byproducts.
Here is a list of ingredients contained within this product:
- Dihydromyricetin – A flavanol found in a many unique plants that has been shown to be highly effective at reducing alcohol intoxication. This particular flavanol prevents alcohol from agonizing the GABA-a receptor, which is one of the primary cause of mood-disturbances during a hangover. Dihydromyricetin reduces alcohol levels in the body, improves liver health, and scavenges hydroxyl radicals – a byproduct of alcohol.1https://www.jneurosci.org/content/32/1/390.short
- Pyroglutamic Acid – An amino acid with strong antioxidant properties. In fact, it is involved in the glutathione cycle – the primary antioxidant in the body. Pyroglutamic acid has shown promise in preventing osmotic stress from occuring in cells. It also blocks alcohol’s from binding NMDA receptors, the main site behind alcohol-induced cognitive impairments (especially memory deficits).2https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jo00366a011
- Succinic Acid – An organic compound that is invovled in the Krebs cycle – a series of chemical reactions that release energy in the body in the form of ATP. Succinic acid rapidly accelerates the elimination of acetaldehyde, the main toxic metabolite of alcohol.3https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/yea.834
- Ginger Extract (20% Gingerols + Shogaols) – An antioxidant that reduces the strength of alcohol withdrawals and nausea. Ginger has been shown to reduce the reinforcing effects of alcohol, by antagonizing the 5-HT3 receptor. 4https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030881460600481X
- Pyridoxal 5’-phosphate – the bioactive form of vitamin B6 – a critical compound that is involved in a number of vital chemical processes is in the body. Alcohol is known to greatly reduce levels pyridoxal 5-phosphate, as such by supplementation can bring these levels back to normal.5https://www.jci.org/articles/view/1091285-
Where to Buy Alcohol Defense
How to Take Alcohol Defense
Take 2 capsules with a large glass of water immediately after your last drink.
It is best taken after drinking to ensure optimal metabolism of alcohol and elimination of toxic byproducts. If consumed before drinking, it may block the effects of alcohol completely.
Here’s a quick summary of what it does:
1. Increases activity of alcohol dehydrogenase, speeding up the metabolism of alcohol.
2. Increases activity of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, preventing the buildup of acetaldehyde: the main toxin responsible for a hangover.
3. Blocks alcohol from binding to the GABA-a receptor, the primary receptor behind alcohol’s intoxicating effects.
4. Blocks alcohol from binding to the 5-HT3 receptor, both reducing nausea and some of alcohol’s intoxicating effects.
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.